December 28, 2008

19-Weeks

The holidays are coming to a close. Hold on....let me thank god. Thank God! Don't get me wrong...I love the holidays, but the overindulgence of food, family, friends and house guests can get a bit tiresome. Ohh...and alcohol too. But, as my family and I clean up today, we look forward to the next big holiday.

The Achilles feels tight but no pain. The foot is still weak....but trying to support 210 pounds would make any foot weak! Man did I pack on some pounds between injury date and holiday party time! I'm usually cruising around the 188 to 191 mark. So...210 is huge for me! I broke an all time record! But all the eating, drinking, and lazing around has felt great!

Our family Christmas tradition is to go to the zoo on Christmas day. There's probably 6-people total when we showed up, so we tend to get the entire Denver Zoo to ourselves. Here's how my foot held up from all the walking and standing: not well. My heel and the portion of foot where the big toe attaches became quite painful; to the point of wanting to leave early. But...again...at 210 pounds, a weak foot is going to tire out easily. The Achilles actually had steady pain at the end of the day. That was the first time in a long time that I could actually feel the tendon flaring up. I iced it, and put myself on ice with a rum and coke. All was well after that!

I have not been on a run since the 23rd (2-miles), so I better get my butt in gear and start shedding the holiday fat storage. I need to get down to 188 pounds to be competitive and survive my marathon in May.

See you in a week.

P.S. Work is going well. The foot and achilles to get painful during the course of the day, but I'm able to rest and ice it to get ready for the next big call.

1 comment:

Paul R said...

Yep Christmas was the same!!!!

I had been pretty good with my diet and training but over Christmas I indulged and let loose. Anything that came my way I ate. I think I must have sent the local company Mr. Kipling’s mince pies out of business.
I still went to the gym every second day plus walked the dog 40 minutes per day so I didn’t feel too guilty.

My Achilles is coming on good but like you said at the end of the day it sure is aching. I’ve also started getting a sore spot on the outside of my heal which I’m finding very frustrating. I think the cause could be my work boots rubbing.

I’m hoping I get the all clear and start back on full operational duties first or second week of Jan. I’m finding it very hard to stay awake in the office it’s so boring!!!!

New Years Eve we are going over to a friend’s place for a BBQ. The weather forecast is predicting very hot weather in the high 40’s so we will be spending the New Year by the pool.

Hope you and your family have a safe and fantastic New Year.

My New Years resolution is to look after my Achilles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul r