December 14, 2008

17 weeks

I see the doctor on Tuesday. I have a good feeling I'll be released for full active duty as a firefighter. I have a fit for duty test on Wednesday following the surgeons appointment, and they will give me the thumbs up or thumbs down for a return. My fingers are crossed.

The Achilles feels fine. There is still some tightness in the morning, but it subsides quickly. My foot still gets fatigued in the evening if I've had a hard workout or on my feet all day. But, the Achilles feels fine. Probably the most fatigued part of my lower leg is the pad under the big toe. Not the big toe itself, but the pad of the foot that leads to the joint of the big toe. That sucker gets tired! That's when I tend to "roll" my foot towards the outside to avoid that area. I still, in the late afternoon, concentrate on pushing off that pad to get the strength back.

Here was my workout on Friday:

3 rounds of
10 pullups
20 box jumps
135 pound deadlifts, 11 reps.

I felt no pain in the foot or Achilles during the box jumps. That leads me to believe that I will get the final approval on Tuesday. I finish every workout with some calf raises and single leg calf raises. My right foot and leg are able to support a "quick" single calf raise. I still cannot sustain standing on the toes of my right foot for any amount of time. I was told that will take some time while the foot regains the strength lost during its non-weight bearing days.

Overall, progress has been great. My cardio is coming back and I'm shedding the injury pounds that I gained.

I'll check back in after both doctor's appointments.

No comments: