January 03, 2009

20-weeks

Made it to the 20 week mark! It now seems like so long ago that I ruptured my Achilles! I ran 2.5 miles today, and the right side of my lower body is still so very weak. Around the 1-mile mark, I was feeling the pain in my right butt cheek. Not the achilles, but upper right hip area. Around the 2 mile mark, I could feel the weakness in the foot. At 2-miles....I had to stop and limp for awhile. I was able to kick up a pretty good sprint for the last .15 miles.

So...not too sure about the marathon in May. I officially start training on the 13th of January for 18-weeks of progressive mileage. If my right side does not get stronger by April, I'll be out. Maybe a couple of months of squats will help the right side of my butt get stronger. It was strange feeling the right side of my body breaking down. bummer.

I finished another 48-hour shift at work over new years eve and new years day. We got worked pretty good, and my foot and leg were definitely tired at the end of the tour.

Someday...soon...I'll have my strength back in my right side. I was told it might take a year, but it does return. Some people have reported never gaining there strength back, but I think they lead fairly sedentary lifestyles.

Tips on running after an Achilles rupture:

1. Run slow.
2. Concentrate on running form.
3. Walk when you get tired so you don't re-injure yourself
4. Have fun knowing your getting stronger!

See you at week 21!

No comments: