December 06, 2008

16 Weeks

I had a bit of a breakthrough. I was able to run a mile...pain free. Yep...pain free! I concentrated on pushing off the toes and working on my running form. I never felt any pain in the Achilles, shin or foot. It felt great! Granted, the run was in the morning (45 degrees F), so by the end of the day my foot and leg were pretty tired. But I think the foot and lower leg are much stronger than last week. The first steps in the morning are much easier as well. I walk with a normal gait now, but I'll tend to limp in the evening hours due to fatigue.

I have one more week of light duty; hopefully one more week. I see the doctor on the 16th, and have a fit for duty test on the 17th. If I pass both of those, I'll be back in a fire truck on the 19th. I do not recommend light duty if your used to being out in the field doing your job. Again, how folks work 8-hours a day in an office perplexes me.

My weight training is mostly lower body at this point with concentration on the lower and upper legs. Overall fitness had improved, but I have a long way to go to get back to the level I was pre-injury.

I did have a small slip on the snow and ice catching myself full force on my right leg. Everything held up fine. I had a tiny limp after the incident, but my confidence has greatly improved with my Achilles.

See you at Week 17.

No comments: