December 17, 2008

Cleared for full duty!

17-weeks after the injury, and I'm now cleared to return to work as a firefighter! I spent the last two days seeing my surgeon and the department's doctor. Both of them gave approval for full duty. My surgeon said everything looks great. My range of motion and strength are a couple of weeks ahead of schedule. I attribute that to getting out of the boot earlier than I was supposed too, but I'm also returning back to work quicker. The department doctor did a couple of minor tests and said, "you're good to go!" So out the door I went. I do have to check in with my surgeon in 6 to 8-weeks for a progress report at which time he said they will probably close the case.

I start back on the fire engine on Friday. It's been 4-months since I've been a firefighter, so I have a very quick learning curve when I return. I'm fairly nervous to get back into the rhythm of working 48-hours on and 4-days off. It should be interesting.

I'm going to continue the blog until the 1-year mark passes. I want to see what kind of progress I get during marathon training starting in January. I ran 2-miles today...and I felt terrible. I've got a long ways to go to gather my cardio back from where it used to be.

So...for all those who are just starting the rehab process...you will make it! I promise! The Achilles will heal and you will be walking normal again. Hang in there.

c.sco

2 comments:

Paul R said...

Great news c sco,

It’s good to hear that all is well with your recovery and back to doing what you love best fighting fires.

My injury is coming on fine, just about there.

I had an appointment with GP on Monday who said I will be fit for full operational duties by the first week in January, so I’ve resceduled my appointment with surgeon to the 5th Jan just to get the full all clear.

Let me know how your first shift went?

Wishing you and your family a safe Merry Christmas and New Year

Paul r

c_sco said...

Paul,

The first shift...as I just finished writing in the main blog...was a bit "off." I had a hard time getting my rhythm back and my head screwed on straight. I just felt one step behind everyone else during the entire 48-hour tour. But...it's like riding a bike...I should be better upon my return.

I hope your "full all clear" goes well. I actually felt liberated when the doc gave me the go ahead. I thought about crying, but had second thoughts trying to be the big bad fireman! I actually sat in my car for a few minutes before driving out of the parking lot as the moment sank in. 17 weeks was a very long time.

And you as well...Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!