September 04, 2008

20-days post rupture

I actually walked out...ok...rolled out into the real world yesterday. Depression and touches of anxiety were caving in around me as I began to realize the true length of this recovery process. I could have it so much worse, but I've been in a rather down mood lately. So, I went to a Rockies game with my Stepfather (free Brad Hawpe t-shirt day!)

I brought the crutches as I was unsure what to expect. Plus, I'm a bit vain, so I was worried what other people would think of my knee roller. It turns out, I should of brought the Roll-a-Bout because of the distance between the car and the seats. Plus, the ushers at the game put us in the disability seating area which had great seats and a place to park the walker. But...I did not have it, so I parked the crutches. My triceps took a beating from all that "crutching!" My ego would have been fine.

I picked up a temporary disability parking pass from our local DMV. Tip: pick up a disability parking pass if you find yourself in need of a closer parking space. Having the pass allowed us to park right next to the stadium saving a longer walk(crutch) through the parking lots. I'm not abusing the privilege, or looking down upon those who need disability parking full time, but with this type of injury, it is very useful for close in parking spots. It expires in December, but I hope to never have to use it again after November.

There is relatively little pain now. I no longer take any pain medication. Although my foot began to throb a bit at the game, I was comfortable. My incision itches like crazy though! With the boot, I'm able to take it off and scratch the itch. I can also massage my atrophied calf muscle and the swelling around my foot area. I make sure I wear the boot all the time in case I accidentally step down on the foot. I have dreams at night of running. I feel like I can get out of bed and walk to the bathroom at night, but reality hits hard when I wake up. Peeing in the middle of the night is tough trying to balance on crutches half-asleep!

My foot is still swollen along the right side, but the overall swelling has decreased. I still get sharp burning pains from either nerve endings coming back, or the sensation returning to my foot as the swelling recedes. My ankle is very tight, and the calf muscle is pretty much gone. I can move the foot in circles and slightly up and down, but I don't want to push it and risk a re-rupture.

Remember, opt for the boot! You can take it off and give your lower leg a breather!!


August 15th: rupture day
August 15th: surgery day
August 26th: first visit to the doc and I get the boot
September 16th: next doctor's visit!

No comments: