September 20, 2008

Started Physical Therapy

Friday I started PT. I'm using Rocky Mountain Spine and Sport in Lone Tree, Colorado. After a quick interview to see what my Doc wanted for PT and what I wanted for PT, my therapist started off with range of motion exercises consisting of pushing and pulling my toes forwards and backwards. This started to loosed up the joints and muscles. He used his hand to create some resistance to help strengthen some of the muscles not used in several weeks. I had no pain, and the 1st appointment went well. My PT is 3 days a week for the first several weeks.

I'm still non-weight bearing (toe touch only) until Today! (5-weeks post op) I start partial weight bearing using both crutches, and progress to full weight bearing at the 8-week mark. I hope to be walking with one crutch by week 7 and full weight at the 8-week mark. The Doc said I might even be able to ditch the boot and start with a shoe on my next appointment October 7th.

Except for the pins and needles feeling coming from the ball of my foot, it feels good to put the foot on the floor and stretch out the atrophied calf muscle a bit. I'll probably ice the foot in the evening as that's when the swelling and tightness is at its worse. I'm going to set up my road bike on a trainer and start riding that slowly to increase some range of motion and gain some of the cardio I lost during the past 5-weeks. My upper body has also atrophied a bit, but my belly is looking fat and happy! I better get back on the workout trail! I have a job to do in December that will require 100% of me.

Here's my progression so far:

August 15th: rupture day
August 15th: surgery day
August 26th: 1st post op check with the Doc. I get the boot and non weight bearing for 4-weeks.
September 16th: 2nd post op check. Start partial weight bearing week 5.
September 19th: started PT
September 20th: Wife's birthday! Started partial weight bearing using crutches and the boot.

October 7th: next check up with the Doc.

No comments: