September 13, 2008

29-Days post rupture

No change in the injury from yesterday. There's no more itching. Probably due to my liberal use of cocoa butter lotion on the lower leg every other day.

I'm writing today to say I have a new found appreciation for those folks who are disabled--either permanently or temporarily. All of my previous injuries in my life were upper body injuries. Broken arm, shoulder surgery, broken orbital, broken hand....thank you sports!...so this is the first time I have not been able to walk. Actually, in high school...25-years ago...I sprained my ankle and hobbled on crutches for 2-weeks, but it was nothing compared to this.

Not having the luxury of walking has opened my eyes to the disabled world. But...adaption is part of human nature. I wear a small backpack when I'm on crutches. I have a basket attached to my roll-a-bout to carry my phone, the house phone, remote control, bottle of water,etc. I use a plastic lawn chair in the shower. I have to sit on the closet floor to change clothes, but going to the bathroom has become much easier now that I can balance on the toe of my boot. When my 2-year-old daughter leaves her toys and other goodies lying around, I have to navigate the extra obstacles. The poor dog keeps hearing, "Hannah...you have to move," over and over again.

Now I see why the ADA was created! And...the temporary disabled parking pass has been tremendous!

I have my next (2nd) appointment with the Doctor on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll hear some good news about weight bearing, walking, and a time frame on my return to work.

I'll post the results on Tuesday evening.

No comments: