August 30, 2008

Day 15...post op. Worker's Comp.

The State of Colorado Worker's Comp Division called and told me my claim has been approved. After several days of deliberation, they decided this was a job related injury. I still get paid, but it's only 66.66% of my base salary. Ouch. At least there is a system that pays worker's hurt on the job. I had forgotten that I will not get a full paycheck until January. As a firefighter, I need to be 100%, and I'm unable to do light duty because the injury is on my driving foot. I have a 1 1/2 hour commute to get to the fire station, so driving could become an issue. Yes...I've heard you can drive with our left foot, but the liability falls on the driver with the boot on their driving leg. So...I'll be on worker's comp until mid-December.

I suggest that...if you can afford it...get short term disability insurance. It will help pay the rest. I had Aflac at one point, but dropped it a few years ago. Man...I wish I still had Aflac! That definitely would of helped. I'm the primary income spouse. My wife is a stay-at-home mom who has now picked up some part time hours in an attempt to cover the remainder of my salary. Grandma and Grandpa take over child care when she's working.

If your a weekend warrior sports type of person...pick up some disability insurance to protect your income and your family. Donations from parents and friends have helped out. Having a support network is tremendous during recovery!

My wife and I had built up an emergency fund in case something like this would happen. We hate tapping into it, but we need to pay the bills. Another word of advise...have an emergency fund! We've used a bit of our home equity, now carry a credit card balance, but the emergency fund will prove useful over the next few months.



August 15th: rupture day
August 15th: surgery day
August 26th: 1st doctor visit and I get the boot
September 16th: 2nd doctor's visit scheduled.

Still no weight bearing, but the boot offers more protection than the splint. My days still consist of trading stocks, studying for a class, watching movies on AMC, Xbox 360 (thanks neighbor), and resting the foot.

No comments: