January 17, 2009

22-Weeks

I've come to a bit of a resolution that I will not be able to run the marathon in May. My running form sucks as I compensate for the weakness of the right foot. And...I actually felt a bit of pain in the Achilles 3-days ago during a run and had to stop. Bummer.

I think I'm fully healed when I walk, but running takes me back to the realization that the lower right half of my body is not quite ready for the jarring and demands of running. Although I'm gaining strength back slowly, my calf is still atrophied and my foot is still weak; especially in the arch. I failed to realize what 6 to 7-weeks of non-weight bearing will do to the body.

I'm able to front squat, back squat, peform power, hang and regular cleans, and do plenty of calf raises, but I underestimated the amount of time this is going to take to get back to full strength. I tried to sprint at the end of a short run a couple of days ago...and it was a show of comedy. I sort of limped sprinted...if that's a term....to the finish line. It was an interesting mix of left side power and a right sided flat footed gait. My speed has completeley dimished. Again, I'[ve heard it can take up to a year to regain power and strength in the Achilles. Maybe never.

I'll keep running slowly building strenght and endurance. Maybe I can shoot for the Denver Marathon in October. I'll keep an eye on the Colfax Marathon in May...but the October run sounds like a more realistic time frame.

Work is going well. We've had some early morning calls where I found myself limping to the fire engine while my Achilles warmed up. Once on board, I was fine. I still have some problems getting my bunker boots off because of the scar tissue, but have found a method to get them off with a bit of a struggle. My everyday work boots begin to hurt in the afternoon, but I'm able to get out of those at 5pm and into a pair of running shoes. Much better!

Overall life is great. It's 2009...thank god 2008 came to an end! My family's good and my overall health is good.

See you at week 23.

No comments: