October 20, 2008

Week 9

66 days post rupture, post op.

I mowed the lawn today. I took it slow as I was walking on a weak ankle, but I mowed the lawn! It actually felt liberating. My brother called and told me, "it's like being on house arrest." Yes, this injury is similar to house arrest, especially when your non-weight bearing. I've read some blogs from people who live in upper story apartments, alone, with only a couple of friends that are becoming worn out under the burden of helping them with simple tasks. This injury is debilitating, demoralizing, and psychologically devastating. You really have to keep your wits and sense of humor to get through this thing.

Week 9 continues with physical therapy 3-days a week. I'm working with a device called prostretch (just google prostretch and you will find several sites selling the device). The stretch I get on my calf and achilles is tremendous. After 5 sets of 30 second stretches, I can walk with a normal gait. There's still a bit of pain and tightness at Week 9, but this little prostretch helps.

My physical therapist starts with a massage of the ankle and scar tissue to help break it up. After the massage and a warm up on the bike, I hit the prostretch, balance board, one-foot balances, squats (body weight), and hamstring curls for the next hour. Everything is progressing nicely. I'm a tad sore when I leave PT, but my walk definitely improves after the session.

Standing on one foot (the rupture side) is liberating as well. I was very nervous about attempting it, but using all the tiny muscles of my foot and ankle to stabalize my weight helps with the recovery progression as well. Once I was able to stand on one foot...about a week and a half ago...I was able to take my first shower standing up! No more plastic lawn chair in the shower!

Week 9 is very similar to week 8, I'm just getting stronger and stronger in my atrophied leg, and stronger mentally too.

Ohh...and I hit a bucket of golf balls at the driving range! I hit right handed, so my injured side only pivots; no pushing off. But....I hit a bucket of golf balls on a nice 70 degree day. wow.

No comments: