October 02, 2008

No more crutches!

I started the morning out with one crutch. I needed to get a cup of coffee from the kitchen to the living room to work on the computer. I took two steps and realized I left my crutch in the kitchen, but I had no pain in my foot, ankle or Achilles. I decided to take a few more steps and came to the conclusion that I do not need crutches any more! As I posted in a comment earlier, the freedom to walk in the cam boot is liberating...not only physically, but mentally as well.

I have not talked to my surgeon, but I'm finishing up Week 6, and he wanted me full weight bearing by week 8. So...I just started a bit early! I was able to do laundry, I know fun right!, for the first time today. Actually carrying a load of laundry in both arms was amazing! I truly want to mow the lawn and get some outdoor projects completed before the snow flies, but I better not get too ahead of schedule. Plus...I'll turn my sock green in the boot!

I'm also continuing my cardio rehab on the spinner bike. I weighed myself today, and I'm at a portly 203-pounds. Portly, because that's heavy for me standing 5-feet, 11-inches tall. The day of the injury, I weighed 193. So...10-pounds later, and winded on a flight of stairs has me on the bike every day. Today I was able to spin and push myself a little harder because of the weight bearing. It felt great! Albeit sweaty and out-of-breath, it felt pretty good. My right leg has definitely become weak. I've got a ton of work to do to get back to work.

Remember...I'm still on track for the Colfax Marathon in May. Can I do it? My physical therapist does not think so, but my surgeon says yes. I can't wait to run!!

No comments: