October 01, 2008

More weight bearing

I'm down to one crutch. I'm able to start bearing more weight on my right foot, so I can ditch the other crutch for another week. I'll go to full weight bearing in week 8, and after my doctor's appt. on October 7th, I might be in a shoe! Yesssss! A shoe! I better temper my thoughts on the shoe though. I know I don't want to push to hard, but getting out of the boot will be a tremendous boost to morale.

I turned in the Roll-A-Bout. It's a bit harder working in the kitchen or doing dishes, but using a chair with a folded up towel worked great! I could rest my good leg, or use the chair as support for both legs. I have a stool that I use at the bathroom sink for the same purpose. I'm still showering in a plastic lawn chair sitting in the tub, but I'm able to stand on more often now.

PT is going well. My therapist has been working on range of motion the last 5 appointments, and I graduated to a one-legged squat on a moving platform that I lay down on. There's hardly any pressure on my foot, but I'm working the thigh and calf that have disappeared over the past month. I have a spinner bike that my mom let me borrow that now resides in the basement. I have started my cardio recovery finally. Hopefully I can drop some of these injury pounds that have built up since August. I ride with the boot on for now, but hopefully can ride in a shoe soon. I'm doing push-ups and sit-ups every Mon, Wed, and Fri. Check out http://hundredpushups.com/ it's a great site for an upperbody workout.

I was once a big time crossfitter. But I'll have to wait 8 months to a year before I can start that program at full speed again. Check out www.crossfit.com. They have some killer workouts!

One word of advice for those of you in the boot. Wear a sock. I was barefooted during the initial stages of wearing it. It stinks!....Literally! Once I began wearing a sock, the smell has dissipated. Sorry to the doctors who had to smell the thing. Yuck!

No comments: