February 16, 2009

6-Months!

wow...a milestone...the 6-month mark. When I was first injured on August 15th, 2008, I thought this day would never come. 6-months seemed so far away at the time. I knew it would take approximately 6-months to get a the full speed ahead from my doctor, and that's exactly what happened. I was fully released on Friday the 13th. According to the worker's compensation doctor, I have hit maximum medical improvement or MMI. I'm not sure what my impairment rating will be if anything at all, but I'm satisfied being released from doctor's visits.

During the impairment rating appointment, the doctor said I had not quite reached full dorsi flexion, and had some tightness with flexion. Meaning...the muscles and scar tissue are tight enough in my foot to not allow full range of motion pointing my toes at the floor and the sky. My side to side motion is 100%. He said this would continue for about a year...maybe two. I might not get the power I use to have in that area back....ever. My guess is I'll get back 90 to 95% of what I used to have prior to the injury. The one year milestone will tell me quite a bit when it comes around in August.

I continue to work out...in fact....much harder than what I was doing a month ago. I'm following the CrossFit plan, and it seems to work the best for me at the moment. I've lost quite a few of my post injury pounds, and I'm slowly making gains in my cardio that I lost. The strength has definitely returned in both legs. My right calf, although smaller than my left calf, has gained back enormous amounts of strength and size over the past 2-months. I was able to do a 5K run today with limited problems. Just the typical soreness from running.

So, I've hit 6-months. I'm quite pround to be where I'm at! The mental game of the Achilles rupture continues, but each day I get better.

And for those that might read this blog and be in the beginning stages of recovery or the late stages...

you will get better. Hang in there.

4 comments:

Roberto Puzo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roberto Puzo said...

Hey c_sco

Just thought I would write a quick note to say Thank you for writing this blog.

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading it and I am now fully aware for what I am about to go through over the next couple of months.

I am a firefighter based in the UK. I am 5 week post op and have the same boot on. I have also booked my 1st physio session for this week.

Can you please give me any advice on 2 shoes. What did you wear? trainers or ankle boots?

I am due to fly to Oz on the 1st May (12 wks post op) for a 3 week holiday, which will include some walking, and was wondering what kind of shoes I should get.

Did you have an ankle strap etc to help support whilst waliking at the beginning?

Once again, thanks for the blog. Roll on light duties!!

P.S the captain helping you with your boots had me laughing out loud!!

c_sco said...

Hi Roberto. Sorry to hear about your Achilles, but you can see that you will recover and get back to full duty soon.

Shoes? You know what?...I wore running shoes. The same shoes that I ran a marathon in. They seemed to offer the best support while I was re-learning to walk. I had no ankle support, but I was very careful in the beginning. I remember how liberating it felt to get out of the boot! I wore my right shoe fairly loose so the swelling and scar tissue of the injury would fit. So...a regular pair of running shoes worked fine for me.

Welcome to the Achilles tendon rupture club! I hope your healing goes quick, and you start to see major improvement as your recovery process continues.

Oh...and I can finally get my bunker boots off without any help! I think the scar tissue is much smaller now and there is no longer any swelling.

My injury feels great!! Good luck!

c_sco said...

P.S. for Roberto....

Remember when your on holiday to sit and take frequent breaks. I remember overdoing it one day and I paid for it the next day.

Just be careful and watch your steps!