November 08, 2008

12 Weeks

I'm running! Slow and steady, but my cardio is returning and so is the strength in my lower leg. My scar tissue and achilles are very tight at first, but after warming up, I feel nothing except the lack of muscle in my foot and calf. Today I ran 4 X 400 meters with 25 squats in between sets. I've been working on upper body and abs to get my strength back for firefighting.

I'm back to work in a light duty role. I answer phones, file papers, and general clerical office type work. Boring, but a nice change to the recovery routine. It's very difficult to see the fire engine leaving the station on a call, but I know my turn is coming soon.

My foot and ankle still swell at night. The scar tissue becomes sensitive near the end of the day as well, so it's nice to get my shoes off and foot up. I get frustrated with the discomfort and swelling, but I'm only at week 12 of a long recovery process. The mental game of non-weight bearing was the toughest, but now the mental game of healing begins to meddle with my thoughts.

I just wish I had a good foot to start training for a marathon!

One day at a time.....one day at a time.

I see my Doctor on the 18th. They're going to run me through a battery of tests to see where I'm at in my recovery process. A battery of tests?...I have no idea what that means, but I'll find out in a week. I will have a better time table for my return to full active duty as a firefighter as well.

As paul r says: Happy Healing to all of you!

No comments: